Wookmark is an online tool for collecting images. The vast majority of those images are copied from other websites, which brings up important copyright and licensing issues.
We try to take a pro-active stance towards helping copyright owners stay in control of their content. Since the nature of the Internet and digital content allows for effortless duplication with minimal knowledge, we believe that it takes several strategies to handle this situation effectively.
What we do
- We see it as our duty to be proactive and responsible towards copyright owners, and towards users
- We preserve the original sources of copied images, and repeat them on image pages multiple times
- We encourage our users to click through to those source and engage with content owners
- We promote content sources and creators throughout our site and try to present them in the best way possible
- We participate in copyright discussions actively and try to help find good solutions for this complex issue
What copyright owners can do
- Familiarize themselves with the technical issues involved, their options, and plan out their copyright strategy
- Clearly communicate to users of their sites what they can and what they can't do with your content
- Update the EXIF meta data for image files with copyright information. This allows other site to read and display that information
- Add water marks to images with a signature, name or URL. Classical painters added their signatures to their work, and hundreds of years later we still know who the creator was. This strategy works
- Reach out to us for any copyright issues involving their content and our site
What users can do
- Respect copyright owners, and don't copy images they are not supposed to copy
- If they like something, reach out to the creator, whether it's leaving a comment on their site, sending them an email, or subscribing to them on Twitter. On Wookmark, we recommend adding the name of the content creator or copyright owner in a note to each image
- Before using content for personal or business purposes, familiarize themselves with what the issues involved. If in doubt, they can ask the copyright owner directly
- Pay for the use of copyrighted content as appropriate
There is more we can do, but this should be a good starting point. The most important thing is that everybody involved keeps copyright issues in mind and pro-actively helps ensure that no harm is done. Wookmark is about cherishing great content. Let's do this right.
We will revise this page as the topic evolves. We are also working on several site improvements to ensure proper handling of copyright.